Recent Bike Activity

Saturday, August 13, 2011

August 12, Pumpkin Disappointment & Next Great Broccoli


The raised beds I love.  One in the foreground, two near the playhouse/shed.  The beds were planted in Spring, 2010.  Previous to the beds I grew tomatoes at some various patches around the house and had a little success with planting pumpkins among the ivy hillside seen just to the right.


Speaking of the pumpkins, they are my favorite thing overall to grow.  I make pies (while boldly disregarding seed type between jack-o-lanterns and food pumpkins), and I have made a little soup.  Overall, however, I simply like growing pumpkins.

This year, however, has been a bitter pumpkin disappointment.  So far, two pumpkins on the vine total, and not a female blossom to be seen.  Joke I'm telling family and friends is that I have a well-attended pumpkin fraternity party in the backyard.

Meanwhile, leaf miners are everywhere.  They apparently can be controlled by an organic product called Spinosad.  I am plotting my next move.



Meanwhile, I planted some broccoli seeds in preparation for winter.  I am delighted that all the seeds have germinated, looking forward to getting these in the ground.


Finally, a shot of today's harvest.  I've been picking all week, so it doesn't look like much.  Had enough to make soup on Monday and Thursday, and gave away a few tomatoes and  zucchini.

No comments:

Post a Comment